Is your sink stopper broken? Have no fear, this DIY project is one that you can complete yourself in just a couple of hours. Learn the best way to do it and get your bathroom up and running again.
What is a sink stopper?
A sink stopper is a small slotted bowl that covers the drain of your sink, but in this article, we’ll be discussing the slightly more complex form of sink stopper that is more incorporated in the sink plumbing.
This is a rod you can push and pull to control the drain plug in your sink. The purpose of these contraptions is simply to act as a plug when you want to fill your sink and to prevent too much debris from entering the pipes beneath.
How to fix a broken faucet stopper
To fix a sink stopper, you’ll need a wrench, pliers, a screwdriver and you'll also need to know what size drain pipe you have, as well as what type of stopper you have.
The first thing that you should do is remove your sink stopper. Simply unscrew it from the sink, and pull it out.
If the stopper is stuck in the sink, it can be removed by using a wrench or pliers and pulling on the stopper. If the stopper has broken off, then you will need to remove any residual pieces of the old stopper before installing the new one.
If your sink stopper is leaking, you will need to replace the entire stopper. This means removing the old stopper, replacing it with a new one, and reattaching everything back together.
It may seem like a lot of work, but if you are careful, it shouldn't take more than an hour or two.
Fixing a leaky faucet
A leaky faucet is usually caused by a worn-out washer or O-ring. If you have a dripping tap, you'll probably find that it needs replacing. It may be leaking because of a worn-out washer, an incorrectly installed seal, or a damaged flange. If your tap has been leaking for some time, it might also be due to corrosion
- The first thing that you should do when fixing a leaky faucet, is turn off the water supply valve. This way, if there's any water left in the pipes, it won't get into the house or on you as you see to the issue.
- Next, you will want to loosen the nut that holds the handle onto the spout. Then, slide the handle over until it comes loose.
- Finally, you will want to tighten the nut back up so that the handle stays where it belongs. If you don't do this, then you could end up with leaky faucets again.
How to reassemble and adjust the pop up stopper
- The stopper rod should be attached securely to the drain pipe. If the stopper rod slides down easily, tighten the clevis screw more.
- Otherwise, loosen the clevis screw, pull the stopper rod up, and slide the clevis up the rod as far as you possibly can. Then, tighten the retaining screw. Pop-ups should be made out of plastic or metal. They should be attached to the top of the container using screws. The stoppers should be held by a spring mechanism.
- When the stopper is pulled down, the spring releases the stopper from the container. The stopper should not be pushed back into the container until the spring is released.
How to fix a broken sink stopper
Now, let’s talk about how exactly you should go about fixing a sink stopper. If you consider yourself to be especially competent when it comes to DIY, then this will not be a task that massively phases you.
However, if you do not feel confident about doing this by yourself, then you should really consider enlisting a professional for some help.
- First, you need to unscrew the bolts holding the sink to the countertop. Doing this will enable you to pull the sink away.
- Next, disconnect the pipes leading to the sink, then you should loosen the screws holding the sink to the wall, which will allow you to pull the sink away from the wall.
- Now you should place a towel underneath the sink to protect the floor, then make sure to remove the rubber gasket from the drain opening.
- Next, remove the old stopper and washer. Make sure to replace the old stopper and gasket with the new ones, and tighten the screws holding the sink back to the wall.
- You can finally reinstall the sink, attach the pipes back up, and turn on the hot water supply. Don’t forget to test the sink for leaks.
Don't forget to clean the sink stopper
Sink stoppers tend to be very dirty. You should clean them regularly. To do this, you need to unscrew the stopper, then pull it out.
- In order to remove the stopper from a drain, turn the nut until it detaches from the pipe.
- Lift the stopper out of place using a rag or paper towel.
- Use a plunger to clear clogs if needed.
- After cleaning, put the stopper back in place. Make sure to install the stopper properly before turning on the water supply. Don't forget to check for leaks after installing the stopper.