Learn how to clean a toilet with Coke. This cleaning hack with leave your commode sparkling clean. If you have rust stains or limescale buildup that just won’t budge, then run to the kitchen and grab a can of Coke for this cheap and easy cleaning solution.
Table of contents
- Can you Clean Toilet Stains with Coke?
- Is Coca-Cola Good for Cleaning?
- Can you Use Diet Coke for Cleaning?
- What should you avoid cleaning with Coke?
- Supplies for Cleaning a Toilet with Coke
- Instructions for Cleaning a Toilet with Coke
- How do I make Cleaning a Toilet with Coke work Even Better?
Can you Clean Toilet Stains with Coke?
Can you really clean toilet stains with Coke? This seems like one of those weird myth’s that doesn’t actually work in real life, but let me tell you, it does! When it comes to toilet cleaning, Coca-Cola is your new best friend.
Is Coca-Cola Good for Cleaning?
Coke works really well for cleaning a variety of household items, however today we are focusing on the toilet.
Depending on how hard or soft your water is and what kind of minerals are in the water supply you may be more likely to have stubborn rust or limescale stains that are difficult to scrub off.
Soda works to clean your toilet because three ingredients, citric, carbonic and phosphoric acids.
- Phosphoric acid is a colorless, odorless crystalline liquid. It gives soft drinks a tangy flavor and prevents the growth of mold and bacteria, which can multiply easily in a sugary solution. Most of soda’s acidity also comes from phosphoric acid.
- Citric acid is found naturally in citrus fruits, especially lemons and limes. A manufactured form of citric acid is commonly used as an additive in food, cleaning agents, and nutritional supplements. Note: Coca-Cola doesn’t contain citric acid but other citrus flavored soda does. Pepsi usually contains a small amount of citric acid.
- Carbonic acid is a chemical compound with the chemical formula H2CO3 . It is also a name sometimes given to solutions of carbon dioxide in water (carbonated water), because such solutions contain small amounts of H2CO3.
Check out the following video for instructions on how I cleaned my toilet with Coke.
Can you Use Diet Coke for Cleaning?
Coke works well to clean your toilet because of the gentle carbonic and phosphoric acid it contains. These chemicals come from the carbonation, not the flavor in soda, so Diet Coke works just as well as regular Coke.
This also means that club soda and many other carbonated beverages can be substituted for Coke. Buy whatever is cheapest. You can usually buy 3 liter bottles of generic brand cola for $1 at the dollar store.
Coke is suitable for most of the mineral deposits and rings that commonly occur in toilets. However, it won’t always work for other stain which we will go over in a moment.
Is Coke Good for Cleaning Rust?
Yes, The properties of Coke, like citric acid, help break down rust particles and make them easier to clean.
Is Coke Good for Cleaning Limescale?
Yes, the carbonic acid helps break down limescale build up.
What should you avoid cleaning with Coke?
- Coke isn’t great for removing oil, fat, or grease-based stains. For these, you’re better off using dish soap, detergent, or a stronger acid like vinegar.
- Coke isn’t great at killing germs. In fact, the sugary residue left behind by regular Coke can actually feed certain types of bacteria. Stick to soap, a commercial cleaning solution, or an alcohol-based sanitizer to kill microorganisms.
- Coke won’t remove stains caused by inks, dyes, or pigments. Rubbing alcohol and other chemical solvents are better cleaning solutions.
Supplies for Cleaning a Toilet with Coke
- 1 can of Coke or other carbonated soft drink
- Toilet brush
- Empty bucket
Instructions for Cleaning a Toilet with Coke
- First, flush out most of the water from the toilet. Either turn the knob on the side of the tank to turn off water flow and then flush the toilet or fill a large bucket with water and dump it quickly into the toilet. This will force the toilet to empty.
- Next, open a can of coke and pour it into the bowl. Try to get it under the rim and focus on any stubborn stains.
- Then, wait for at least two hours for the Coke to work it’s magic.
- After the time is up flush the toilet and use a scrub brush on any remaining stains.
- Last, flush the toilet one last time to get rid of any remaining Coke in the bowl.
How Long Do You Let Coke Sit in The Toilet?
At least two hours. For stubborn stains try to leave it overnight.
Do You Have to Remove the Water from the Toilet for the Coke to Be Effective?
No, but it will work better if you do. Excess water will dilute the soda.
Is Coke Safe For Septic Tanks?
Yes, you are only using a small amount so it will be fine.
What do you do if there are scratches in the toilet?
You can re-glaze or paint your toilet. Get full instructions on how to paint a toilet here.
How do I make Cleaning a Toilet with Coke work Even Better?
You can heat the Coke in the microwave. Heat makes chemical reactions work faster. Pour the soda in a heat safe bowl and microwave for one minute.
Never place a metal can in the microwave or a bottle of coke (even if is is glass or plastic) Use bowl or other dish that will allow the steam to escape.
Be careful when removing the Coke from the microwave. It is a HOT liquid.
You can also scrub the toilet before and after pour in the Coke to help loosen stains.
- 1 12 oz Can of Coke
- Toilet Brush
- Large Bucket
1. First, empty the water out of the toilet bowl. Scrub the bowl with a toilet brush before you begin if necessary.
2. Next, pour a can of Coke in the bowl focusing on the toilet ring or mineral deposits.
3. Let the Coke sit for at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. Flush toilet.
5. Finally use your scrub brush to tackle and extra stains.
Have you tried cleaning your toilet with Coke before? Let me know about your results in the comments.