Learn how to make a balloon arch for your next party or special occasion. You can make a fancy balloon arch without helium or wire. This balloon garland is easy to make at home with cheap balloons from Dollar Tree or Party City. You won't need a balloon arch frame or DIY kit to make this festive party decor. Read on to learn how to make one yourself.
Table of contents
- How to make a balloon arch without helium
- What kind of balloons will you need?
- How many balloons do you need to make an arch
- How long does a balloon garland last
- How much does it cost to make a balloon arch?
- Supplies needed to make a balloon arch
- Instructions for a balloon arch
- Tips for making a balloon arch
- How to hang a balloon garland
How to make a balloon arch without helium
If you are decorating for a party and want to add some decor that will make a big statement but without breaking the bank- try making a balloon arch. A balloon arch is inexpensive, easy to make and can be customized for a theme or event with the type or colors of the balloons you use. You don't need helium or an arch frame to make a gorgeous, fancy-looking balloon garland.
What kind of balloons will you need?
Regular latex party balloons are the perfect kind to make a fun half-moon shaped garland.
How many balloons do you need to make an arch
For my balloon arch I used about 50 balloons in red, white and blue for my American party them. This arch is approximately 13 feet long. You can make your balloon arc as long or short as you like.
How long does a balloon garland last
I have had my balloon arch up for over a week now and it is still going strong. If you place your balloon garland indoors it will last a week or two. If it outdoors and exposed to the elements it will probably only last a couple of days.
How much does it cost to make a balloon arch?
I used 4 bags of balloons that had about 12-15 balloons each in them. I bought them at the dollar store and the rest of the supplies I already had. You can make this fun party decor for less than $10.
Supplies needed to make a balloon arch
- balloon pump
- ribbon or string
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for being part of Crafty Little Gnome.
I highly recommend getting a hand pump or electric portable balloon pump. You can certainly blow the balloons up by hand and mouth (although this may take a long time and hurt your cheek muscles). I used a hand pump and had my balloon arch completed in less than an hour.
Instructions for a balloon arch
- Blow up balloons and tie off the ends.
- Tie two or three balloons together by the ends.
- Tie a ribbon or string to the center of the first grouping of balloons.
- Stack the next grouping on top and weave the string around one of the top balloons and then back down to one of the bottoms balloons so the stay together.
- Pull the string up back the the top group and repeat as you add more rows of balloons.
Tips for making a balloon arch
I suggest that you blow up the balloons as you go. Create one grouping of two- four balloons, tie them onto the garland and then start blowing up the next set. If you blow up all the balloons first you risk having them pop when they are bouncing all over the room. This is especially true if you have cats that like to chase things with their sharp claws.
You can group together, two, three or four balloons and inflate them to different sizes if you want an informal balloon garland.
If you want to make more of a rigid arch then use four balloons per grouping and tie them to each other tightly.
How to hang a balloon garland
There a few different ways to display your balloon arch. You can hang it from the ceiling by tying the ends to hooks and letting one end hang.
If you are making a half circle arch that is more of a rainbow shape then tie both ends to something heavy like a rock or a spare balloon filled with sand. If the balloon groupings are tied together tightly enough it will form a nice arch.
How to make a balloon arch
Learn how to make a balloon arch or garland with this easy diy tutorial. You don't need a wire frame or helium.
- party balloons
- string or ribbon
- balloon pump
- blow up 2-4 balloons and tie the ends together
- tie the end of the string or ribbon to the center of the group
- place another grouping on top and pull the string around one of the top balloons and then back down onto one of the lower balloons
- pull the string back up to the top group and then repeat with more layers of balloons.
Have you make a balloon arch before? Share your best tips in the comments!