People Pot Pie is the perfect creepy meal to bring along to a Halloween potluck this year. This meat pie is covered with a pie crust that is shaped to look like a human face. Make a People Pot Pie and freak out your friends and family at the dinner table. Warning- no humans were harmed in the making of this blog post.
People Pot Pie
Once upon a time I was browsing the internet when I came upon the amazing, creepy pies from Etsy seller It Came From Under My Bed. She makes pies with human faces. They are made from foam and latex and look completely freaky, yet realistic and good enough to eat.
I decided I needed to stop what I was doing and immediately run to the store for some baking supplies and make an edible version of these human face pies.
I turned my ordinary Shepherds Meat Pie into a People Pot Pie with a few simple steps. This meat pie recipe is perfect for Halloween. It’s also great to help keep your family in check. Kids giving you attitude? Serve up this pie and let them know they'll be next if they keep it up.
You may need the following to make this creepy human face meat pie:
- Pie pan
- Rolling pin
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for being part of Crafty Little Gnome.
How to Bake Human Face Pie
A People Pot Pie is actually really easy to make. It’s not too different from making a regular meat pie. The hardest part is sculpting a nose out of the dough. Follow the instructions in the recipe card below for the full details, but check out these tips first:
- The eyes and mouth are made by cutting slits into the dough. You can use a little extra dough to build up those features like I did in one of the pies. Use some dough to make a nose shape and then take a skewer and poke holes for the nostrils.
2. Press the nose onto the face and it will easily stick to the rest of the dough. Don’t be afraid to get your hands in there and sculpt the face.
3. To make the skin more realistic I did an egg wash over the pie crust. It still wasn’t quite right so I painted barbecue sauce all over it. Then I plunked in a couple olives where the eyes should go.
4. I sprinkled bacon bits, Parmesan and cheddar cheese and a dabbed a bit of soy sauce on the face for some extra color.
5. Another 10 minutes in the oven and it was perfect. I cut onions into little teeth-shaped pieces and placed them in the mouth.
Let the pie cool for 10 minutes before serving.
What does it taste like, you ask? No, it doesn't taste like chicken, but maybe a little bit like... Soylent Green?
People Pot Pie
Make a traditional meat pie with a creepy twist. Make a face in the crust of this Shepherds pie and creep out your dinner guests.
- 5 ¼ cups All purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 pound cold butter chopped into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup ice water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup peas
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 olives
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoon barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 slice chopped onion
Place the flour and salt in a large bowl and, using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse pebbles. Using a fork, stir in the water until the dough pulls together, adding additional ice water by the teaspoonful if necessary. Use your hands to knead the dough for a few minutes until it’s smooth and evenly blended.
Roll the dough into a rectangle and fold it over itself three times like a letter. Repeat this process four times, reshape the dough to a rectangle, and refrigerate until firm, at least 15 minutes.
Cut the dough into two pieces. Roll the first piece out and place it in the bottom of the pie pan. Cut away the excess.
Add the meat pie filling.
Roll out the second piece of dough and place it on top of the meat filling. Use a fork to press the bottom and top crusts together. Cut slits in the crust for the eyes, and mouth
Make a nose out of extra dough and use a skewer to make nostril holes. Place on crust.
Meat Pie Filling
Cook ground beef, onion and garlic on med-high heat in a pan on the stove.
After meat is cooked add the peas, sweet potato and other seasonings.
Set temperature to low while you prepare the pie crust.
Place an olive in each eye slit
Apply egg wash to the pie face with a pastry brush
Apply barbecue sauce to the pie face with a pastry brush
Sprinkle bacon bits and cheese onto the pie face and into the slits.
Chop onion to look like teeth and place in mouth area.
Bake at 425 for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
What do you think? Would you serve this creepy People Pot Pie to your family?
Like this recipe? Make sure you rate it 5 stars and share on Pinterest!