How to clean your microwave with vinegar or lemon
The microwave is one of those appliances that is easy to forget to clean. Since the door is almost always closed the nastiness that lurks inside can go unnoticed for quite some time.
Luckily the microwave can be cleaned in about 5 minutes with only plain water and very minimal effort. Even if your microwave is like mine with gross caked on food seemingly baked into the walls, I promise you this will only take 5 minutes.
Microwaving cleaning hack
An easy way to prevent a big mess in the microwave is to get a microwave plate cover. You place it over your food before you turn the microwave on and it will catch any splatter so that it doesn’t get on the walls or ceiling of the microwave.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for being part of Crafty Little Gnome
- Take a microwave safe bowl and fill it with water. Add a dash of vinegar or a squeeze of lemon juice. Set it in inside and turn the microwave on for 2 minutes. The water will turn to steam and the steam will soften up all the gunk. The vinegar helps to absorb the smells.
- While it’s cooking give the outside a quick wipe down and then go do something else for 4 more minutes until it’s done. You can let the microwave sit for a few more minutes to let the steam penetrate even more if you like.
- Be really careful when opening the microwave and taking the bowl out. The water will be extremely hot. Wipe down the walls with a damp cloth and remove the plate from the inside. Rinse it in the sink with hot soapy water. Put the plate back in and voila, a nice squeaky clean microwave ready for the next person to cook something and forget to cover it!
- Vinegar- 1 tbsp
- Fill a bowl with water and vinegar.
- Place in microwave uncovered.
- Turn on microwave on high power for 2 minutes.
- Let hot steam form in microwave for 2 minutes before you open the door.
- Remove bowl carefully.
- Wipe down interior of microwave with wash cloth.