How to clean your microwave with vinegar or lemon
The microwave is one of those appliances that is easy to forget to clean. Since the door is almost always closed the nastiness that lurks inside can go unnoticed for quite some time.
Luckily the microwave can be cleaned in about 5 minutes with only plain water and very minimal effort. Even if your microwave is like mine with gross caked on food seemingly baked into the walls, I promise you this will only take 5 minutes.
Microwaving cleaning hack
An easy way to prevent a big mess in the microwave is to get a microwave plate cover. You place it over your food before you turn the microwave on and it will catch any splatter so that it doesn't get on the walls or ceiling of the microwave.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for being part of Crafty Little Gnome
Check out a microwave plate cover I like on Amazon by clicking here.
- Take a microwave safe bowl and fill it with water. Add a dash of vinegar or a squeeze of lemon juice. Set it in inside and turn the microwave on for 2 minutes. The water will turn to steam and the steam will soften up all the gunk. The vinegar helps to absorb the smells.
- While it's cooking give the outside a quick wipe down and then go do something else for 4 more minutes until it's done. You can let the microwave sit for a few more minutes to let the steam penetrate even more if you like.
- Be really careful when opening the microwave and taking the bowl out. The water will be extremely hot. Wipe down the walls with a damp cloth and remove the plate from the inside. Rinse it in the sink with hot soapy water. Put the plate back in and voila, a nice squeaky clean microwave ready for the next person to cook something and forget to cover it!
You may also like: How to Dry Herbs in the Microwave
How to Clean Your Microwave
How to clean your microwave with two ingredients in two minutes
- Vinegar- 1 tbsp
- Fill a bowl with water and vinegar.
- Place in microwave uncovered.
- Turn on microwave on high power for 2 minutes.
- Let hot steam form in microwave for 2 minutes before you open the door.
- Remove bowl carefully.
- Wipe down interior of microwave with wash cloth.
Felicia Daniels says
Is it expensive ?
Cleaners Belsize Park Ltd. says
Fantastic tip! I use vanilla extract and water instead of vinegar to clean the inside of my microwave.Vanilla makes the kitchen smells like I was cooking. It is fabulous.Best regards!
Driss Alison says
I Put Soap liquid and a brash inside the microwave, I turn it ON for 0.3 min and its clean ! Try it
I tried this and after a few minutes I heard a loud bang. The vinegar bottle exploded. I guess I should have removed the cap?
This is pretty cool, def have to try it out!
Deena Ellabban says
if only i saw this yesterday i just cleaned my microwave last night with soupy water and i had to scrub the dam thing ..but i might do this now coz it still smells
Aucis Sousa says
It looks a bit expensive, dont you think?
Mary Chapman says
You can also try just using a spray bottle to spray water onto the walls of the microwave and then nuke. No burning or exploding bowl of water and works just fine!
Oven Cleaner Sheffield says
Ammonia will work better for this cleaning task. Use in the same way as described. Also, it can be used in the same way for oven cleaning too.
Try it guys.
I used this method once a month for about a year. The last time I did it, my microwave literally exploded. The vinegar stripped the covering off the wires and boom. Use at your own risk.
I have a winter cold and flu cleaning one, when everyone is sniffling and got the flu in the house i put a 1litre micro safe container half full of water and 1 table spoon of vicks in for 8mins , the vicks clears their noses, smells fresh and also makes regular cleaning a breeze. When not in use can be stored in cupboard or left in microwave for later cleaning , i often think when i go into make a cuppa i flick it on for 3mins to freshen the kitchen and air 🙂
I use lemon instead of vinegar, smells much better, and works great!
Michelle Raines says
Or you could just never clean it like us. Haha
Doing something like that, for years. 1 lemon + 1 orange (each cut in 4), in a bowl of water. Works great and smells, even better!!!
I just tried this and it didn't work. The door was the only thing that got steamed up and wiped off easily. But the inside didn't come clean at all. I will stick to spraying the inside with vinegar and water (like I have been doing for years) from now on.
I have and it worked quite well. Also no smell like the commercial cleaners you buy.