Does your whole house smell like dog urine or cat pee? Are you afraid to have guests over because of the overwhelming animal smell? Have your carpets and hardwood floors been ruined from your pets peeing on them? Learn how to get rid of that horrible dog pee smell or cat spray from your home- even if it’s been set in for months or years. Find out what cleaners will and won’t work for pet accidents and the best way to get rid of pet odors.
Table of contents
- How do I get the smell of dog urine out of my house?
- How to get cat and dog urine out of carpet?
- How to Get Rid of Pet Urine Odor on Hardwood floors
How do I get the smell of dog urine out of my house?
It’s a problem every pet owner has to deal with at some point. How do you get rid of the odor when the whole house smells like dog urine or (sometimes even worse) cat pee.
Whether you just brought home a new puppy or kitten or your pets are getting older and are having bladder issues you can find yourself dealing with unpleasant odors in your carpet, upholstered items and even wood floors.
Don’t despair- you can get rid of the nasty stench even if the whole house smells like dog urine.
Can smelling dog pee make you sick?
Smelling animal urine can make you feel sick to your stomach and may cause breathing issues but it won’t seriously harm you.
Urine, like all human and animal waste, carries bacteria that can cause illness. Dog or cat urine smells strongly of ammonia, which is an irritant to the lungs.
If there are large amounts of urine, your lungs could feel like they are burning and it can be especially bothersome to babies and young kids.
How long does dog pee smell last?
Left untreated, urine takes up to five years to off-gas on it’s own. The longer dog pee or cat urine sits in a carpet the worse the problem becomes.
Bacteria builds up, and the urine is soaked not only into the carpeting but also into the pad below and, in some instances, the wood floors and its sub-floor. Pet urine can also seep into concrete.
It’s much easier to get rid of dog urine if you clean it up as fast as humanly possible rather than let it set in and absorb into your floors.
How to prevent pet accidents around your home
- Train your dogs to go potty outside and don’t leave them unattended for long periods of time.
- If you have to leave your dog alone then crate train them and use puppy pads.
- Make sure cat’s always have a clean litter box to use.
- Spay or neuter your animals.
What Not to Use to Clean Up Dog Pee or Cat Urine Odors
- Bleach Bleach will not kill the odor of dog pee or cat urine. It simply disinfects. Bleach is harmful to breathe, and it’s toxic for your pets. It will also remove color from items you are trying to clean and may ruin wood and leather.
- Ammonia dog and cat urine has an ammonia odor. Ammonia will make it smell worse.
Instead use some of the supplies below to get rid of pet urine.
Supplies to get rid of dog or cat pee
- Wet/dry vacuum
- Enzyme cleaner
- Baking soda
This is my favorite little vacuum for area rugs and upholstery. I use it all the time- even for stains in my car.
How to get cat and dog urine out of carpet?
If there are multiple urine stains on the carpet and it is old anyways you may want to consider replacing it.
Removing old carpet and padding can get the rid of the smell almost immediately, although this may not be an option financially for many people.
- Begin by blotting up the pet urine as as much as possible.
- Next, spray the pet stain with enzyme spray and use it according to the packaging. If you don’t have enzyme cleaner then use vinegar.
- Use a wet/dry vacuum to clean up pet stains.
- After the carpet is dry sprinkle it with baking soda mixed with essential oils.
- Finally, after 24 hours vacuum up the baking soda.
If the entire carpet smells like urine and it’s more extreme than just cleaning individual spots, then buy or rent a carpet cleaner and shampoo the whole carpet.
Why does my carpet smell like urine after cleaning?
After a carpet cleaning, the smell of pet urine may return. This is due to the gases released by the bacteria that are digesting the urine when the carpet is wet. If any of the urine remains in the rug fibers, it will continue to smell. The same is true for vomit, another common problem associated with pets and carpeting.
Once the rug dries it will begin to smell better. If it doesn’t try cleaning it again and repeat until the smell goes away.
How to Get Rid of Pet Urine Odor on Hardwood floors
- First, remove pet urine quickly. Immediately blot up the urine with paper towels. Press firmly on the towels to draw the urine out of the wood.
- Next, mop up pet urine. Get a bottle of enzyme-based floor cleaner from your pet store and use it as directed. If you don’t have any enzyme cleaner on hand then use vinegar.
- After air drying, pour baking soda on the spot and let it sit for 24 hours to absorb the odor.
What is the best enzyme cleaner for dog urine?
Rocco & Roxie is one of the most highly rated enzyme cleaners on Amazon. It’s known for its ability to eliminate lingering odors and stains not only from urine but also vomit. It’s safe around pets and chlorine-free, so it won’t discolor your carpet or furniture.
What do you do when your whole house smells like dog urine? Let me know your best tips in the comments.