Air fryers are great because they allow you to cook food without having to stand over a hot stove or oven. They also save time since you don’t have to flip your food every minute.
However, cleaning an air fryer isn’t always easy. If you aren’t careful, you might damage your appliance. This guide will show you how to properly clean your air fryer.
How Often Do You Need To Clean An Air Fryer?
It depends on how dirty your air fryer gets. If you leave it in the same spot all day, it will get really messy. If you use your air fryer really frequently, it's also likely to get pretty messy. But, if you wash it after each use, it won’t be as dirty.
If you only use it once or twice a week, you probably won’t have to clean it very often. Maybe once a week or every two weeks. However, if you use it daily, you will need to clean it more frequently, like three times a week.
Air Fryers should be lightly cleaned after every use, because they collect dust and food particles. Cleaning them more throughly on a regular basis helps prevent clogs and other problems.
If you have built-up grease, oil, or crumbs left in your air fryer, you may notice it will take longer to cook, it will smell, and it won't be crispy.
This is because the fan will slow down due to the buildup of dirt and grease. Regularly cleaning your appliances will help them work better longer.
You won't need much, but you will need:
- washing up bowl or deep sink
- sponge, dish soap
- paper towels
- light scrubbing brush
How To Clean An Air Fryer Basket
- Remove the lid and remove all the parts from inside the air fryer. This includes the food basket, holder, and handle.
- Fill the sink with warm water and add some dish soap. Make sure that the water is not too cold as this can cause the plastic to crack.
- Use a sponge to scrub the outside of the air fryer basket. You may need to use more than one sponge depending on how dirty it is.
- Rinse the air fryer thoroughly under running water until there is no soap left, and you have removed any hard bits of leftover food.
- Dry the air fryer using a paper towel. If you can, let the parts of the air fryer dry on the side for as long as you can, to ensure they are completely dry.
- Replace the lid and put everything back into place.
How To Clean Baked On Grease Off The Basket?
If the basket or pan has baked-on grease, spray with Dawn Powerwash let it sit for 10 minutes, soak it in hot water and soap for 20 to 30 minutes.
Then remove the now-softened gunk with a scrub brush. If you notice a stinky odor coming from your air fryer, chances are there are food particles trapped somewhere in or on it.
What Happens If You Don’t Clean It?
Although it's easier to serve your food from the air fryer and put it back, try not to delay cleaning.
Clean your air fryer pretty much straight after you use it, as this will avoid any crumbs, grease, and hard bits of food becoming solid and difficult to remove.
If you clean it straight away, it will not have had time to harden and oxidize. When you have finished using it, simply unplug it, let it cool, and empty out any grease, oil, and crumbs.
Then, give it a proper clean. This is especially true if you are air frying wetter foods such as chicken wings or ribs.
Additionally, if you are cooking something quite pungent like fish, your air fryer may maintain this smell for longer than you think.
This may also happen after you have cleaned it. This doesn't necessarily mean it is dirty, but you just need to rethink how you're cleaning it.
Soak the basket in water if you have a strong smell in your air fryer, and clean it again. If you notice that the smell is still there, cut a lemon and rub it all over the air fryer basket.
This should neutralize the strong smells.
Something to bear in mind is the type of air fryer you have. If you have a non-stick air fryer, be careful about using metal wire/steel wool to scrub it, as your non-stick coating may flake and come off.
This is not ideal, as this can be bad for your health. Try to use gentle scrubbing devices.
If you need to soak your air fryer, factor in another 20-30 minutes. However, if you are doing other things at the same time, it could take longer.
- Don't put the main unit into water! Get rid of food splatters by wiping down the entire unit. Clean off the heating coil using a soft dish brush. Remove the filter screen.
- Use a sponge and dish soap to clean the inside of the air fryer. Don't forget to wash the sides of the air fryer where condensation collects.
- Wash the outer surface of the air fryer with a damp cloth. Wipe down the air fryer with baking soda. Baking soda helps absorb odors and prevent buildup.
- To clean the air fryer base, wipe it down with a mixture of 1 part vinegar and 3 parts warm water. Let sit overnight. Rinse thoroughly before reusing.
- To clean the air fryer handle, use a toothbrush dipped in white vinegar. Wipe down the air fryer's lid.
- If you want to get really fancy, you can make your own air fryer cleaner. Make a solution of 2 cups of white vinegar and 2 cups of water.
Top Air Fryers Of 2022
- Amazon Basics 3.2 Quart Compact Multi-Functional Digital Air Fryer
- COSORI Air Fryer, 5 Quart Compact Oilless Oven
- COSORI Air Fryer Oven Combo 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker
- Ninja DZ201 Foodi 8 Quart 6-in-1 DualZone 2-Basket Air Fryer
- Chefman Multifunctional Digital Air Fryer+ Rotisserie, Dehydrator, Convection Oven
Air fryers aren't cheap, and they are brilliant to use in your kitchen. They get food crispier than the oven, and they do not need to preheat for too long. Make sure to keep your air fryer clean with these helpful tips!