Learn how to drill a hole in a seashell with this tutorial using a small hand drill or dremel. Make crafts and jewelry out of shells easily with this method. Don't worry about accidentally breaking your seashells when you carefully drill a hole in them following these instructions.
Table of contents
How to drill a hole into a seashell without breaking it
Today I am going to show you how to drill a hole into a seashell- without breaking it.
Of course, if you want to take these cute little seashells and turn them into Christmas ornaments or holiday crafts I am certainly not going to stop you.
Seashell crafts are fun to make regardless of your age. Whether you have a collection of shells from a day at the beach or a special holiday in an exotic location you can drill a hole in your seashells and make them into a fun ornament or decoration.
Supplies you may need to make a hole in a shell
Where to get seashells and how to prep them for drilling.
The shells were also purchased from the craft store. Normally, I would just go to the beach and pick some up but it's winter and I am in hibernation mode. I feel like I need to warn you, if you buy shells from the craft store be prepared for a horrible stench when you open the bag.
Apparently the shells are not cleaned very well before being sealed up in an airtight bag. What's left of the crustaceans sits there fermenting for months until purchased. It smells exactly what you would expect it to, so be prepared to wash the shells.
If you don't live near a beach or don't have the patience to scrounge around for hours looking for the perfect shell you can purchase them on Amazon here.
How to drill a hole in a seashell with a hand drill.
A regular drill is very heavy and there is a good chance that trying to drill into a delicate seashell would cause the shell to break. With this hand drill light pressure is used to slowly drill a hole into the seashell.
To make the hole simply mark on the shell where the hole will go, place the hand drill bit and start turning in a clockwise motion.
Once drilled through, reverse direction to remove the drill bit.
How to Make a Hole in a Seashell with a Dremel Drill
Using a dremel drill bit is similar to the hand drill except the dremel is electric. There are two things to keep in mind when using the dremel.
- Start with light pressure and build up so the shell doesn't break
- You need to use a little bit of water to prevent cracking and breaking
Steps for drilling the hole
- First place the shell in the sink on top of a washcloth or something soft.
- Next, Either drizzle a small stream of water from the tap over the area you are drilling or if the shell is really small just dampen it.
- Then, lightly press into the shell where you want the hold with the drill until a hole is made.
Now the shell can be hung or used in a craft project.
What would you use these shells for? Let me know in the comments.
- small hand drill
- or Dremel
- decide where on the shell you would like the hole and mark it
- chose a drill bit the size of the hole you want
- place the tip of the drill bit on the spot you marked
- turn the drill bit so that it cuts through the shell
- continue turning it until a hole forms in the shell
- If using the Dremel, place the shell in the sink over a soft cloth.
- Wet the shell or turn the tap on letting a small stream of water flow onto the shell.
- Turn the Dremel on and gently press into the shell until the hole is made.
If the small hand drill doesn't work then the shell may be too thick and you will have to use the Dremel.