Do you have a DIY felt corner bookmark on your beach day packing list? I do, and I'll tell you why. Summer is notoriously synonymous with rest and relaxation.
We’re talking about stress-free, watermelon crunching opportunities. I don’t think I am the only one who daydreams about a warm sandy beach, a brightly striped towel, and lazy hours spent with a fantastic book.
But what happens when your sunhat unexpectedly blows away and you have to chase it to the shore? When the hat meets the sand, and it likely will, I’d hate for you to lose your place.
DIY Felt Corner Bookmark
Corner bookmarks are compact and fit nicely on the top or bottom of your page. If you often refer back to things, you may enjoy having multiple bookmarks available for ear-marking. Rather than run out and buy a bunch, why not dive into DIY mode and get crafty? If this sounds fun to you, I’ve included instructions on how to make your own felt page markers. The supply list is short and the enjoyment is long, so let’s get busy!
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You will need:
For the felt, choose up to five colors to brighten your design. Select a complimentary thread color.
- Decide a size for the corner bookmark and then cut out 2 triangle shaped pieces from a felt fabric. The triangles need to be right triangles (with one 90 degree angle). Trace and cut out small triangles to fill or create patterns on the base triangle.
- Grab the right triangle which you would like to have for the front side of the bookmark. Prepare needle and thread. Place a small triangle cutout on a corner of the base triangle and stitch it around the side with the base.
- When you are done stitching one triangle grab another one and place it on the base however you wish. Try to keep a neat geometric pattern; the bookmark will look nicer that way.
- Continue to stitch the small triangle pieces on the base until the whole base is filled with a nice pattern.
- Done stitching the front triangle base? Grab the plain triangle base and prepare needle with thread.
- Place both base triangles together, with the patterned side facing out. Start to stitch from the side. We need to stitch the 2 sides of the 90 degree angle and keep the longer side of the triangle open.
- When the stitching is complete, tie a knot or two and then draw the needle towards the inside of the bookmark. Draw the needle out again randomly and cut off extra thread.
You are now ready to jump into your swimsuit and your fave novel ! But heh, even if you need to tackle content for work, these homemade bookmarks will amplify the enjoyment of any reading that you’ve got on your list.
More sewing tutorials you may like: