With this guide, you will learn everything you need to know about cleaning your pipes thoroughly. This will give you a better understanding of how you can do it yourself from that point on. If pipes aren't regularly cleaned, residue will build up, clogging them and adversely affecting the flavor of the smoke. You should regularly wash pipes to ensure an optimal smoking experience.
Pipes may appear like ancient smoking devices when contrasted with the array of vapes and bongs with intricate designs currently available.
Yet pipes will always be a favorite of the smoker due to the fact that they are readily available, affordable, easy to use, have an antiquated appeal, and come in such a variety of styles.
A smoking collection is simply incomplete without a pipe, which is equal parts old school and new school.
One of the most essential, and, let's be honest, annoying aspects of owning pipes is cleaning them.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
The Fastest Way to Clean a Pipe
Bag The Pipe And Submerge In Alcohol
- Be sure to shake the pipe well to remove remaining bits of tobacco or… whatever else you’ve been having a toke of.
- Once the excess debris has been knocked loose, put the pipe in an airtight storage bag filled with rubbing alcohol. It needs to be completely submerged.
- In the absence of a baggie, a smaller plastic container would work as well. In a closed container, you will need to soak it longer, since you cannot move the pipe in the cleaning solution as easily as you can with a bag.
- Submerge the pipe in rubbing alcohol and seal the bag by submerging the entire length.
Adding Salt To The Mix
- A teaspoon of coarse salt should be added. In areas where a sponge or brush cannot reach, salt will act as a scrubber or sponge. Ensure the salt is properly working its way into the pipe to do its deep cleaning job.
- For cleaning bongs and other water pipes, coarse sea salt is typically used, but kosher salt or Epsom salt also work well. For pipes filled with old, hard resin or that are particularly dirty, use coarse sea salt.
Letting It Soak
Soak the pipe for about 12 hours in the bag or container. By then, most of the resin will be dissolved by the alcohol.
Bubbles may form around the stem at that point. This is not a problem. During the expansion of the air within the pipe, water vapor leaves the bowl.
Shake It Off
To remove residual resin from the bag, shake it vigorously after the pipe has been soaked. In the case of rigid containers, you'll want to skip this step to avoid breaking your pipe.
This is really important to remember, as it will really define whether you have cleaned it correctly or not.
Take The Pipe Out Of The Bag Or Container
- After the lengthy soak in saltwater, remove it from the bag and soak it in a tub of warm, soapy water and shake it.
- Paper clips or pipe cleaners can be used to remove resin that is still stuck on your pipe, but be careful not to scratch it. If you want to be extra cautious, you can use a cotton swab.
- Rinse your pipe one last time with hot or warm water after you've washed it. You may want to consider using a pipe brush instead of a pipe cleaner if you're having trouble getting all the resin off your pipe.
- You can usually find one to fit your needs, as they come with a variety of different brushes.
Time To Finish And Dry
Before using your pipe again, let it dry thoroughly. If you aren't satisfied with the cleanliness of the pipes, repeat the procedure, adding fresh salt as you go.
Rubbing alcohol will have dissolved most of the salt during the first cleaning process.
Cleaning your pipes regularly is the best thing you can do. Keeping your pipes clean will ensure they last longer and make them easier to maintain.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can boil your pipe in water when you don’t have rubbing alcohol or don’t want to use it.
Because extreme temperature differences may cause the glass to crack you should immerse the pipe entirely and slowly heat the water.
If any resin remains on the pipe after boiling it for 30 minues, use a cotton swab or pipe cleaner to gently scrape it off.
It’s unpleasant to smoke a dirty pipe since resin clogging imparts a burnt taste to the smoke.
The health risks associated with dirty pipes are simliar to those associated with dirty bongs that may contain toxic materials in their water. Dirt in bong water collects and retains most of the harmful chemicals contained within the pipes.
Pipes have a reduced capacity to support microbial growth so even thought they feel harsher, they’re actually a little safer than a bong filled with dirty water.
The most effective and widely available method is to shake and scrape your pipe with an alcohol and salt solution, but how long this will take exactly depends on how messy the pipe has become.
Submerge a glass pipe in a container containing one part white vinegar and one part water. Soak it for 12 hours, then scrape off any resin that is left on the pipe.
Now that you've read this guide all the way through, you should have a good understanding of how to properly clean your pipe.
If you want to make sure that you are not overlooking any spots on your pipe that easily could be missed, take your time with each step that you take.
Once you have completed all those steps, you will have a very clean pipe that is ready to use just as before!