Scents have the ability to evoke emotions and memories. The sense of smell is closely connected to the limbic system, the part of the brain that's responsible for emotions and memories. This is why certain scents can have a huge effect on our mood. Lavender for example have calming properties, while peppermint is energizing.
Big perfume brands understand this concept, and they use it to craft memorable and likeable fragrances. Burberry for example are known to create over and over again unique scents that hits people's emotions, making their perfumes very popular.
If you are interested in creating your own scents through candles, sprays, and oil diffusers to make your bathroom smell fresh, clean, and comforting, here are a few ideas. With essential oils and other ingredients, you can make them at home. While you may prefer other scents, here are five of the best scents you can start with.
Lemon Bathroom Spray
Lemon essential oil smells citrusy and fresh, which helps relieve nausea and boost energy levels. It is astringent and antiseptic, making it perfect for bathroom sprays to remove pungent odors.
- ⅛ cup baking soda
- ½ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 to 3 drops of lemon essential oil
- 2 cups hot water
- Put the baking soda into a clean bowl.
- Add hot water and stir.
- Add the lemon juice and lemon essential oil, stir thoroughly, and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture into a clean spray bottle.
- Shake well before each use.
Bergamot Reed Diffuser
Bergamot essential oil is another citrus oil that closely smells like orange essential oil, with a floral scent. Bergamot is helpful when a person is sad or depressed, giving off a soothing effect.
Ceramic or glass container
- Safflower or sweet almond oil
- Bergamot essential oil
- 5 to 8 reed diffuser sticks
- Pour ½ cup of safflower or sweet almond oil (base oil) into the container.
- Add 30 to 50 drops of bergamot essential oil
- Stir to mix the base and essential oils
- Put the reed sticks into the container
- Flip the reed sticks after one hour to saturate the other end with the scent
Sandalwood Scented Candle
Sandalwood's scent is calming. It helps enhance inner peace. The scent is great if someone has low self-esteem or suffering from depression or stress. Sandalwood's scent is deep, rich, floral, delicate, and woody, with a touch of sweetness.
- 30ml sandalwood essential oil
- 500g beeswax
- 10ml strawberry flavor oil
- 1 tab of thick candlewick
- 1 mold
- Stainless double boiler
- Silicone spray
- 1 dowel
- Chop the beeswax into small pieces and melt them in a double boiler under low heat. Gently stir the mixture occasionally until the beeswax reaches a uniform consistency.
- Coat the mold with silicone spray to prevent the beeswax from absorbing moisture.
- Dip the wick into the melted wax and fix it at the bottom of the mold. Anchor the wick's free end with the dowel to the top of the mold.
- When the beeswax achieves a smooth consistency, remove it from the stove. Allow it to reach a temperature between 45°C to 60°C. Stir in 10 ml of sandalwood essential oil and 10 ml of flavored oil. If you are using vanilla with sandalwood, add 30ml of sandalwood.
- Pour the mixture into the mold slowly to prevent the formation of air bubbles. Warm up breakable molds before pouring the wax to prevent them from cracking.
- Cut off the excess wick to about ¼ inch.
The lavender essential oil has a subtle floral scent that helps people relax and sleep soundly. The scent can also relieve headaches. It smells fresh, fruity, and sweet, making it the perfect ingredient for dry potpourri.
- Dried lavender flowers
- Orris root powder as a preservative
- Lavender essential oil
- Fabric sachets
- Use dried lavender flowers from your garden or a store.
- Put the dried lavender flowers in a small pillowcase, and move it around on a flat surface to gently loosen them.
- Put the flowers into a large plastic bag or bowl. Add ¼ cup of orris root powder for every four cups of lavender.
- Add a few drops of essential lavender oil and mix to distribute the oil. Store in a closed container for several weeks to allow the oil to penetrate the flowers and intensify the scent. You can add more lavender essential oil to the potpourri every four to six months.
- Fill several fabric sachets with dried lavender potpourri and place them around your bathroom.
Peppermint has a minty herbal scent that can help with indigestion and headaches. Peppermint essential oil has a stimulating effect that helps enhance alertness, but the scent is also good for managing anxiety, mental fatigue, and stress.
- Soy candle wax
- Peppermint essential oil
- Mason jars
- Cut the candlewick into the right size and glue one end in the center of the mason jars.
- Melt the soy candle flakes in the microwave or a double boiler, following the directions on the package.
- Add 15 to 20 drops of peppermint oil to the melted wax and stir. Slowly pour the mixture into the mason jars. Use a stick or pencil to wrap the wick and anchor it. Leave the candle to harden overnight.
- Trim the wick to the correct length.