Back to School Clock- Sunburst Pencil Clock
Today I’m showing you how to make a sunburst school clock out of pencils!
I love the start of the new school year, and it’s not just because my kid is out of the house and back at school. The back to school season is a great time for anyone to freshen up their office or work space and indulge in some new office supplies.
For today’s tutorial we are going to make a sunburst clock with sharpened pencils. Sunburst mirrors and clocks have been trendy in the interior design world for a few years now. This quirky project takes it to a whole new level.
With some simple supplies available at Target you can make this fun sunburst school clock in one afternoon.
It makes a great gift for teachers or anyone who likes funky decor.
Supplies for Sunburst School Clock
- Pencils ( I used about 100)
- Pencil sharpener
- White craft glue
- Gardening shears
- Super glue
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you for being part of Crafty Little Gnome
Directions for Sunburst School Clock
- Trace the clock onto a piece of cardboard. Trace another circle about 2 inches bigger than the diameter or the clock. Cut cardboard circle out and cut another circle smaller in the center so that you have access to the back of the clock.
- Glue the clock to the cardboard using super glue.
- Next, sharpen the pencils and glue them to the cardboard using Elmer’s craft glue. To make the pencils in a starburst pattern they will have to be sharpened different lengths.
- Place the pencils in groups of 7. Sharpen the first one and then cut the rest shorter and shorter and then sharpen the tips.
- Use gardening shears to clip the pencils shorter before you sharpen them to save time.
- Glue the eraser-end of the pencils onto the cardboard using plenty of Elmer’s craft glue.
- Leave the clock to dry for 24 hours, then it’s ready to hang in your school or office.
Who would you make this sunburst school clock for?