Guest Post by Quintin Bentley Crevling
The most important aspect of many parents’ lives is creating a safe environment for their children to thrive. There are 200 million insects in the world for every human, so your chances are pretty high that you will need to spray pesticide in your home at some point. These pesticides often come in low doses that will not harm an adult. However, small children and pets are very sensitive to these toxins. To ensure the safety of you and your family, you should understand what chemicals you are spraying in your home, the effects they have on humans and pets, and recommended precautions to avoid pesticide poisoning. Read more here if you are considering having your home inspected by an exterminator.
To determine if a pesticide is safe around your family you must first know which chemicals are the active ingredients in the spray being used in your home. Most pesticides are created from pyrethrins which are natural toxins derived from the chrysanthemum flower. These toxins are absorbed by the insects and attack the nervous system, causing them to lose all function and die. Insect repellents are another extremely common form of pesticide used in homes. Most repellents contain DEET which works by blocking the insect’s sense of smell, essentially making you invisible to them so they will continue their search for food elsewhere.
Nearly all chemicals being used in your home will contain a very small percentage of the active ingredient. This small amount of poison is not enough to cause significant harm to an adult, but your children and pets may not be so lucky. A young child’s body is not developed enough for their kidneys and liver to expel the toxins at a rate needed to survive heavy exposure. Your children and pets are at higher risks of coming into contact with areas that have been sprayed by pesticides, because an exterminator will often spray near low hanging ledges and baseboards. Since animals love to sniff their surroundings and give new smells a lick, you will want to make sure you notify the exterminator that you have pets so they can give you instructions to keep them safe. Ingestion of these products can cause long term health risks including respiratory weakness, headaches, and cancer.
You should take several precautions to keep your family safe from harmful chemicals. The first precaution you should take is to notify the exterminator if you have pets or small children so they will not leave poisonous pellets within reach. Your expert may still decide that poison pellets are the best course of action in other sections of the home, such as the attic. After your home has been sprayed you should wait to return for several hours so the chemicals can dry. When you return home you should open all of your doors and windows to let any residual insecticide fumes dissipate. The most important precaution is to listen to your expert. These experts have years of knowledge and will tell you the safest course of action to ensure a bug-free home.